Finished my Grey Knights for Tim’s Shadow War: Armageddon campaign this weekend:
Not that I’m much of a New Year’s resolutions kind of guy, but here’s the plan of what I want to work on in 2017, ordered according to how I feel at the moment*:
- WWII British paratrooper reinforced platoon (made a good start on this already – pics to come)
- Necromunda figs to finish up a gang I inherited from Tim B.
- Blood Bowl (I have a painted human team that just needs basing, so I’ll get that finished and then work on the orcs from the new box to make a match-up)
- Miscellaneous sci-fi figs for Rogue Stars
- Frostgrave terrain board (and maybe a new warband)
- Warhammer 40K – not sure what yet; either expand the Space Wolf marine army already I have, or start Deathwatch or Genestealer Cult
- The Dogs of War GW fantasy figs that I’ve collected over the last few years
- Figs and terrain for the Assassin’s Creed homebrew skirmish game I’ve been planning (and some of the Dogs of War GW figs will work with this too, since they’re pseudo-Renaissance)
- WWII vehicles (I have a few tanks, armoured cars, and jeeps)
- Miscellaneous ancients for Song of Shadows and Dust and Broken Legions
- The Judge Dredd block terrain I started a few years back (in retrospect, if I’d waited a year, I would have just bought a bunch of laser-cut MDF instead of building it all from scratch using foamcore)
*highly likely to change; several of these are started projects already, at various stages of completion, but I do have a tendency to get distracted by sparkly shiny things.
Decisions, decisions… What to work on next?
Now that I have the Frostgrave warband done, time to tie up some loose ends on projects already started and planned:
- WWII British Paratroops (a platoon plus support – started, but a way to go yet [including the <shudder> camo smocks])
- Few odds and ends for Blood Bowl
- Mordheim Sisters of Sigmar (about 80% done – just need to do the metallics and basing)
- Fill-in figs for a Necromunda group (3-4 figs to round out an Cawdor group that I inherited from Tim B.)
On top of that, I did start putting together a funky little warband for Songs of Blades and Heroes using mostly OOP/LE Games Workshop Warriors of Chaos personalities, when it looked like that was what Tim was going to run for his weekend tourney:
There are some real chestnuts in that group (not all pictured). I have all the LE Games Day WoC figs, including the sorcerer, plus Harry the Hammer (thanks, Dave!) and a few other specials.
And… that new GW Deathwatch/Genestealer Cult Overkill box should be arriving on my doorstep later today.
Oh, and the Conan kickstarter could be here anytime.
I picked up a new painting desk from IKEA. Because it’s a secretary style, with a drop-down front that closes to hide my toys, my wife let me set it up in the living room.
Not that there’s anything wrong with the space I have in the basement, but it’s nice to be able to paint in the company of the rest of my family (not to mention the access to natural light).
As I’d mentioned before, I recently picked up a 1/50 scale die-cast Land Rover Defender on eBay from a guy in Portugal. I did a quick and dirty repaint on it today and got it done. The lettering on the doors isn’t perfect (using old Letraset rub-on transfers, and they’re not super easy to align on a dark background), but they’ll do for now.
Update: fixed it…
Not a lot of figure painting going on lately (surprise, surprise!), but I have been working on a few hobby related bits and pieces…
Dave G., Kevin H., and I had a small Ronin game to learn (or in my case, relearn) the rules. It was useful, and I’m looking forward to playing a larger scale version for realz, now that we have a better idea of the mechanic. I think Dave and Kev enjoyed it, too, and hopefully there’ll be a bit of a samurai buzz.
Started painting the sci-fi/modern layout I put together last year. This will eventually form part of a Judge Dredd “Block”, but is designed to work with any sci-fi/modern game.
Picked up a 1/50 scale die-cast Land Rover Defender on eBay from a guy in Portugal. It was specced out for a fire department (bright red, blue lights on the roof, etc.), but I’m converting it to use as a UNIT vehicle for an eventual Dr. Who themed game.
…and the fulfilled temptation:
Dave G. spotted a really bargain priced WHFB Empire army on Kijiji locally and picked it up. Then he beat me up and made me buy it from him. 🙂